Apple devices have this amazing feature-cum-functionality called iMessage that empowers connectivity between friends and families. iMessage is a feature that allows you to send free text messages to iOS device owners. However, sometimes, iMessage encounters an issue.
How to Fix Error ‘iMessage needs to be Enabled to send this Message’
We have received a lot of queries regarding iMessage: It says, when a user is about to send a message, the pop-up appears showing ‘iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message’ error. The main reason behind this could be a recent update that you might have performed with your iOS device.
Don’t worry! In this article, we have demonstrated some of the tested solutions that can help you get rid of this error quickly. So, without further ado, let’s dive straight into it.
Here are some of the useful tips which will be elaborated further in the article:
- Ensure iMessage Enabled
- Enable and disable Airplane mode
- Force quite the message app
- Check iMessage server status
- Restart your phone
- Disable and enable iMessage from Settings
- Delete stuck messages or the conversations
- Sign-out from Apple ID and Sign-in again
- Reset Network Settings
- Send as SMS instead of iMessage when you contact support
Restart your Phone
It would seem an easy way to solve the issue, but believe us, it is the most effective and universal trick as well. This quick solution can be effective in solving an error called ‘iPhone cannot send a message as iMessage needs to be enabled’. To restart your phone, use the respective buttons and then turn on your device again after a minute or so.
Force Quit the Message App
To force quit the Message app, enter the app switcher on your iPhone. Swipe up from the bottom (iPhone without Home Button). Users who have an iPhone that has Home button, quickly double press it. Now, you can see all opened apps on the screen. Close the messaging app by dragging it all the way up. After 30 seconds or so, you can relaunch the Message app and check whether the issue is solved or not.
Read More: i message doesn’t say delivered
Ensure iMessage Enabled
Follow the steps mentioned below to check whether iMessage is enabled or not
- Open Settings on your phone
- Scroll down and tap on Message
- Check whether the toggle of iMessage is ON/OFF
- See, if iMessage is green, there should be any extra message like ‘iMessage waiting for activation’.
Check iMessage Server Status
There comes a time when your device is working perfectly fine, but the fault appears on Apple’s side. To check the iMessage Server status, you need to navigate to their System Status Page. Here, if you find a green dot against iMessage, then it is perfectly fine. However, a yellow or red dot will suggest that the issue is with the system and Apple is working on it.
Reset Network Settings
Before resetting Network Settings, take note that it won’t affect/erase your personal data, but would reset all the Network-related settings to default. Follow the steps mentioned below to reset your phone’s Network Settings:
- Open iPhone Settings
- Tap on General
- From the bottom, tap on Reset
- Tap Reset Network Settings, and continue
We hope after resetting network settings, you will not have to face the error. However, the error still arises, then you need to perform ‘Reset All Settings”. There will not be any data loss during the process except the password you have set for Wi-fi, mobile hotspot, and Bluetooth.
Sign-out from Apple ID and Sign-in again
Follow the simple steps mentioned below to do so:
- Go to iPhone Settings
- Tap on your name provided at the top
- Scroll at the bottom, and tap on Sign-out
- Restart your phone
- Navigate to the Settings again, and tap on Sign-in
- Sign in with your credentials and launch iMessage again to check whether it worked or not.
Enable and Disable Airplane mode
Before applying a complex solution, you need to perform this straightforward option to deal with the issue. This could be the quickest way around for such problems. Follow the steps mentioned below to turn On/Off Airplane mode on your phone.
- Swipe down from the screen’s top left to open the control center
- Users having iPhone with a Home button can swipe up from the bottom to open up the control center
- Now, tap on the Airplane option, wait for 30 seconds and toggle off back again.
Disable and Enable iMessage from Settings
Even if your iMessage is enabled, the system does not approve that. In such a scenario, you can try turning off iMessage from the Settings and then enable it again. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open Settings, and tap on Messages
- Toggle off iMessage
- Restart your phone
- Now, Open Settings → Messages → Toggle on iMessage
Read Also: How to Send / Receive iMessages in Airplane Mode
Remove Stuck Messages or the Conversations
It is important to remove stuck messages in order for text messages to be sent successfully. Follow the steps mentioned below to do so:
- Open Message App
- Go to the Conversations
- Long-press the failed message and delete it.
- Try to send a new message again
- Check whether the issue is solved or not. If not, then delete the whole conversation and send the message again
- Same way, you can perform the steps for specific Contacts. Check whether you can send messages to particular contacts or not.
Send as SMS instead of iMessage when you contact Support
This could be your last option if nothing seems right. You need to contact Apple Support. And, if the message is too important, then you can send it as SMS instead of iMessage.
We hope that this article must have helped you in finding the right tip to solve the ‘iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message’ error. If you have any queries regarding Android, iOS, Mac, and their accessories, feel free to reach out to us. Mention your issue in the comment section below so that we can guide you to the best solution for it.