You can make use of the iPhone’s Personal Hotspot feature to turn your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot that allows other nearby devices to share its internet connection. If you want to use Personal Hotspot, you need to simply click the Settings app and turn this feature on.
Fix missing personal hotspot on iPhone
Personal Hotspot enables you to share the cellular data connection of your iPhone or iPad with other devices. But if Personal Hotspot is missing, you cannot do this. This article guides you to fix the issue of missing personal hotspot on the iPhone or iPad. First of all, you need to check the below points:
- You need to look that the Personal Hotspot turn on by going to the Settings and then Personal Hotspot.
- You can restart your iPhone or iPad which offers Personal Hotspot and also another device that connects to its Personal Hotspot.
- It is necessary that you should have the latest version of iOS.
Here are the methods to fix the missing personal hotspot on iPhone or iPad
Turn On and Off your Cellular Data:
If you want to use Personal Hotspot, the iPhone’s connection should be 3G and 4G LTE cellular data networks. If you reset your cellular data connection, you can get the missing Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad. Follow the below steps to turn on and off your cellular data:
- You need to go to the Settings.
- Then click Cellular.
- Then slide the Cellular Data slider to off.
- Then again slide the Cellular Data slider back to on.
- Then click the Settings in the top left corner and check if Personal Hotspot re-appears or not.
Restart Your iPhone:
This is another method that resolves the issues. It is a simple and easy method that you can do. Follow the given below steps:
- You need to hold down the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time to restart your iPhone.
- Then you can use your iPhone as usual when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Then you can check if you get back missing Personal Hotspot.Read More: How to find a WiFi password on Mac
Check Your Cellular Settings:
Sometimes if the Personal Hotspot missing from the main screen in the Settings app, it still shows in other devices. If yes then you can easily get Personal Hotspot back through the different paths or devices. Follow the given below steps:
- You need to go to the Settings.
- Then click Cellular and then click Personal Hotspot.
- Then On the Personal Hotspot slider by moving it from left to right.
- You need to go back to the main Settings screen and then check if Personal Hotspot list under Cellular.
Remove APN Certificates:
There can be an issue of missing Personal Hotspot if you install any Access Point Name (APN) certificates to make your phone work with specific phone companies. If so, you need to delete the APN certificate by following the given below steps:
- You need to go to the Settings and then tap General
- Then tap Profiles and then click on the profile that you want to delete.
- Then click Delete Profile.
Reset Network Settings:
If there are issues with the settings that control your phone’s access to cellular and Wi-Fi networks, Personal Hotspot may disappear. In this case, you can reset these settings by following the below steps:
- You need to go to the Settings and then click on General.
- Then scroll down and click on Reset.
- You need to click Reset Network Settings.
- Then type your passcode if required to continue. This method only resets the network settings and does not delete any data on your phone.
- When the reset process completes, you need to enter Wi-Fi network passwords or pair Bluetooth devices again.
- Then your iPhone restarts.
- When your iPhone reboots, you need to check the main Settings screen for Personal Hotspot.
Remove SIM, Restart, Insert SIM:
Sometimes if you remove the SIM and insert the SIM again, it may resolve the problem of missing Personal Hotspot. Follow the given below steps:
- You need to remove the SIM tray
- Then reboot the iPhone and then insert the SIM tray.
- Then you need to wait for a few minutes until the signal picks up and there is a network in the iPhone.
- Then open the Settings and then click on General
- Then click Cellular and then turn ON/OFF data again.
- You need to scroll down to check if Personal Hotspot appears.
Check Your Phone’s Name:
Each iPhone has its own name. There is not much use of your iPhone’s name but sometimes it may cause the visibility of Personal Hotspot. If you change your phone’s name, follow the given below steps to change your phone’s name back to its old name:
- You need to open the Settings app.
- Then click on the General and then click About.
- Then you can view the Name menu. If there is a change in the name, you need to click Name.
- Then click the X to delete the current name on the Name screen and type the old name of your iPhone.
- Then check if Personal Hotspot appears on the Settings screen or not.
Are You Using An Access Point Name (APN) On Your iPhone or iPad:
If the settings of your APN (Access Point Name) settings are incorrect, the Personal Hotspot option does not appear. Follow the given below instructions:
- Follow the given below steps to check your APN Settings:
- You need to go to the Settings then Cellular Data Options and then Cellular Network
- Then update your iOS
- After updating your iOS, you can re-enter your APN Settings.
- If you use an iPhone or iPad with certain phone companies, you need to contact your cellular administrator to change your APN.
- Follow the given below steps to change APN Settings:
- You need to open the Settings app then click on Cellular and then Cellular Data Network.
- Then you need to copy the settings that you contain for Cellular Data to Personal Hotspot
- Then click on each field to change your settings.
- You need to type the details or you can get these details from your carrier.
- Follow the given below steps to reset your APN:
- You need to open the Settings then click on Cellular and then Cellular Data Network,
- Then click on Reset Settings
- In iPad, you need to delete the configuration profile and then add it again
- If you an APN configuration profile installed, you can use the profile’s information.
- Follow the given below steps to check for an APN Configuration Profile
- You need to click the Settings then click on General and then Profiles
- If the previous options do not work, you need to delete the APN profile
Update Carrier Settings:
Apple releases the new versions of the iOS frequently that help your iPhone to work properly. Follow the given below steps to check for new carrier settings:
- You need to open the Settings.
- Then click on General and then click on About.
- You get a prompt window if there are any updated settings available.
- Then you need to follow the on-screen instructions to complete this process.
Update to the Latest Version of iOS:
Sometimes a bug the operating system that runs on your iPhone in the iOS may be a reason for missing Personal Hotspot. In this case, you need to update to the latest version of iOS that fixes this issue. It is necessary to have a back up of all your data to iCloud or iTunes. Firstly you need to connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network. If you download it with a cellular network, it may take a long time to download because the updates are larger in size. You can update iOS with two methods as listed below:
Follow the given below steps to Update iOS Wirelessly on the iPhone:
- You need to open the Settings app on the iPhone Home screen.
- Then scroll down and click on the General.
- If there is any update available, you need to click on it. Then click Software Update.
- Then click the Download and Install to start installing the iPhone software update.
- You may need to enter the passcode if required to begin the download.
- Then click Install Now. Then you see the Apple logo.
- The progress bar displays the status of the update.
- When the iOS update completes, your iPhone restarts.
Follow the given below steps to Update iOS Using iTunes:
- You need to connect your iPhone or iPad to the computer that you syncs it with. Then go to iTunes.
- You need to choose the icon for the device to open the device management screen.
- Then choose Sync to sync the device with the computer.
- You can also choose Back Up Now to create a backup of the data on the phone. It is necessary to have a backup of all your data.
- It is better to use Sync to back up the iPhone and update it with any changes from your iTunes library. You can use Back Up Now to create a copy of your photos, settings, and contacts.
- When the sync finishes, you can view the new version of iOS on the device and the information about a newer version if it is available.
- Then you need to choose the Update to start the process.
- Then choose Download Only to Download and Install to update now or you can also choose to download the software for a later update.
- Then choose to Agree to acknowledge the user agreement.
- Then the update downloads and automatically installs on your device. If prompts, you need to follow the on-screen instructions.
- When the installation process finishes, your device automatically restarts.
When you contact your network carrier, they will send you a link that installs a profile on your iPhone or iPad. You can enable the Personal Hotspot from that link if you install the profile certificate on your iPhone or iPad. Moreover, you can resolve or fix the missing personal hotspot on iPhone or iPad from the above-mentioned methods.