Hide Caller ID: When we say blocking a number, we usually refer to preventing the display of the number you are calling from. There is a feature called Caller ID blocking that allows hiding your private information like phone number and name when you make a call.
In some countries, you will come across anonymous caller rejection, where all calls are rejected when the subscriber’s Caller ID is blocked.
Know-How to Hide Caller ID When Making Phone Call
Caller ID blocking is considered to be extremely secure as it fully protects your privacy by not displaying your phone number on the screen of the people you call. When you use the Caller ID blocking feature, your name and phone number appear on the screen of the other person either as “Anonymous” or “No caller ID”.
Different Reasons For Blocking Caller ID
There are many circumstances when you don’t want the recipient of a call to know your number. This could be due to many reasons. Sometimes you are unsure of the person you are contacting, sometimes you may want to surprise an old friend.
Private callers can be someone you know, like an ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend, your local mechanic or anyone. In some cases the private callers may be innocent without any prank intended may be to pass on some important information.
For example, most doctors probably do not want to share their personal phone numbers to avoid patient calls during off-work hours. But they may feel the need to inform something to the patient then this idea proves to be really effective.
The Various Options To Hide Caller Id on iPhone
Hiding your caller ID on iPhone is a simple process and in this article, we will give you a brief idea of how to go about it. Mentioned below are some of the free options that anyone can use for blocking their phone number while making outgoing calls.
Whatever may be your reason to block caller ID there are three different ways you can do so on an iPhone like:
- Simply use *67 to block the caller ID on an iPhone for once–In case you need to make anonymous calls occasionally, you can try out this simple trick. Here, all you need to do is enter a specific code on your keypad before dialing the number you want to dial. This trick is applicable not only for your iPhone but for your landline too.
- It works in the case of any call made from one phone to another and prevents your phone number from appearing on the display of the person you are trying to contact. The fastest way to block your iPhone’s caller ID is to apply the *67 tricks.
To block your phone number from appearing on the caller ID randomly you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, open the iPhone’s Phone app
- Next type “*67” before the number you intend to dial
- Now place the call
If it works successfully, the person you are calling will see “private,” “unknown,” “anonymous,” “restricted,” or a similar on the screen. This trick is really easy and can be even applied from some VoIP providers like Google Voice.
Block The Caller ID For Specific Contacts
- When you want to block the Caller ID for specific contacts–The drawback of the above per-call blocking method is you have to every time enter *67 before the ten-digit phone number you’re calling. You can’t enter *67 and then choose a number from your contact list.
In order to block for specific contacts you can try the following steps:
- Firstly, go to your “Contacts” list and select a contact
- Hit the “Edit” tab
- Then insert the *67in front of the phone number
- Now, click the “Done” button to save
Repeat this process with all the contact you would want to call anonymously, now call them using the “Contacts” list like you normally do.
Block Caller ID Permanently
- When you want to hide Caller ID permanently from your iPhone–If you prefer to make private calls from your iPhone on a more regular basis without having to enter any code then you need to make the following changes in the phone’s settings.
- You can permanently block your number on caller ID simply by turning off the “Show My Caller ID” in the Settings app. To disable the feature you need to tap on the “Show My Caller ID” tab and toggle it off.
The customers of the Straight Talk and Verizon have a provision to get it done directly.AT&T also offers a free caller ID restricting service.
Read Also: How To Unlock Your iPhone on Verizon
These are some of the free options that you can use to block your phone number while making any outgoing call. But, there are also some paid services that you can avail if your intention is to mask your phone number instead and not just mark it “private” or “unknown”.
The Paid Option To Hide Caller ID
Spoof Your Caller ID Number is one of the coolest options to mask your number. According to the FCC, this service is designed to protect your number from being displayed by spoofing your phone number with a different phone number.
This process is considered as entirely legal if you have no intention of fraud, causing harm, or wrongly acquiring anything valuable. In order to avail of this option, you need to pay for services like SpoofCard or SpoofTel.
SpoofCard– This is one of the oldest and best-known apps that allow spoofing of phone numbers.
They have an online app for both iOS and Android and the paid full version includes the following features:
- Recording the spoofed calls
- Directly making spoofed calls to someone’s voicemail
- Aids in disguising your voice
- Can make group spoof calls
- Sending spoofed texts
- Add some background sounds
Here, once you buy credits, using either the smartphone or online app you need to call an access number before you enter both the phone number you want to make a call to and the phone number you would want the call to seem to be made from.
The company has a monthly subscription as well as pay-as-you-go plans. Unlike some other services, you don’t have to pay any additional charges to use any of its special features.
- SpoofTel–Though this service is quite similar to SpoofCard, there are some important differences. One good thing about this service is here you don’t need to call the service, instead, it calls you. The features it offers are limited and you have to pay extra to avail of its special features. In the paid version, there are four different ways that you can spoof a call.
Here, you need to dial a 1-800 number and then enter your PIN. Then enter the phone number you wish to call, the number you want to spoof, and then pick a special feature you want to. The service then calls you and connects the call.
You can also perform this act with the company’s app. There is no separate Android version of this app, but Android and iPhone owners can use the online app.
So, now you have got an idea of both the paid and free versions of hiding your caller ID while making a phone call on the iPhone you can choose as per your requirement.
But remember, though you can hide your identity from most of the individuals, there are certain numbers like the 900,911 numbers or toll-free numbers that do not allow such blocking of Caller ID. So, it is better that you don’t try to mask your number while calling these phone numbers.